Monday, June 29, 2009

BET Awards/MJ Tribute...I call Bullsh*t!



I must admit, as a general rule, award shows don't do it for me any more. I used to get excited about the AMA's or the VMA or even the BET Awards but the truth is, in the era of youtube, seeing your favorite artist perform isn't the rarity it once was but seeing your favorite artist on an award show IS a rarity now-a-days. This year was the exception. Because of the loss of Michael Jackson, and the fact that BET announced that this year's award show would change gears and be a "tribute" to MJ, I made sure I made it home in time to tune in to the 2009 edition of BET's Award show. If you watched it, you probably already know where this is going...if you didn't, allow me to hold your hand while we stroll down memory lane.
First of all, let's talk about "the red carpet". How does CNN have better coverage of BET's red carpet than BET? I'm watching Pleasure P [of Pretty Ricky fame] tell me how he'd love to be some woman's sloppy seconds while Don Lemon is interviewing Pappa Joe Jackson! WTF?!?!?!? This was my hint that maybe the producers and executives at Viacom's "black sheep" my not have placed the proper importance on what could have been considered important to Michael Jackson fans...but let's see how deep the Rabbit hole goes.
What a great start! The complete group New Edition with Bobby Brown & Johnny Gill is on stage doing what they do best! I'm dancing, singing and am so looking forward to the rest of the show!
Jamie Foxx is a true talent. Let me say that. He comes out in every "young" MJ outfit he can find starting with Beat It! Hilarious! The 30 foot moon walk attempt...classic tv. From this point, there were some really good parts & some definite highlights...but I'm not hear to talk about the the "good" stuff....
I love Soulja BoyTell'em...for what he's accomplished and not so much for his music (even though it can be quite catchy *slight admission*), but just because you got on a MJ t-shirt don't make it a tribute performance. I KNOW this kid can dance...we've seen him "superman ho's" all over the nation! I would have really enjoyed watching Soulja Boy with any one of those Jamie Foxx outfits on and dancing to Billie Jean or something. Have some fun with it and pay homage to the greatest...but alas...he turn't his swag on and off and jumped on the bed he had rolled out on stage. This would have been an over-lookable offense but this was the top of a steep hill of "wtf moments" we were beginning to roll down.
Beyonce did good to me. She sang Opera. She was graceful, she was beautiful but she didn't change one thing she had planned to do in honor of the man that was being "honored". She did thank him when she picked up her award but her performance...well, it was all Beyonce and no MJ. I ain't mad at her but she's like the biggest female star in music right now...it would have meant a lot to her fans and maybe more importantly the the hurt family that made it out, to see someone of her stature, do something special in Michael's honor...but maybe it's just me.
So now it's time for Jamie Foxx's performance featureing T-Pain. Like, when T-Pain was in the jewelery store did he just pick this necklace charm out or did he have it made...hmmmm, I wonder. "Big ASS Chain"...WTF was he thinking? How coon-a-licious of you. People who don't "normally" watch award shows, partially because of sh!+ like this, will be sure to continue to watch now! How impressive! A rapper using autotune with a "Big ASS Chain" on...how can I be down?
Jay Z was good, the O'Jays were great, Keisha Cole and Monica looked and sounded nice, Trey Songz was too timid, Johnny Gill over sang (as usual), Tyrese represented and Don Cornelius got really old when we weren't looking. And who ever's job it was to control the "5 second delay" fell asleep at the switch...all night. Maxwell had on a really nice suit and made the ladies swoon and Jamie "moist"and then... the Drake, Lil Wayne & friends performance complete with really young "women" surrounding the ACL-less Canadian. Note to performers..."just because you toss in a "give it up for mike" in the middle of a misogynistic, vulgar, offensive, egotistical, self-promoting song don't make it a tribute to Michael Jackson!"
I was on twitter and facebook the entire show and was glad to see that I wasn't alone in my feelings. Last week I heard a friend of mine say the revolution is being "cell-o-vised" [i.e. cellphones with social networking]. I hope that it is and that we can influence the powers that be (major media conglomerates) to get better or die. Let's not let this be THE only major tribute from our people, by our people distributed by Viacom...


I'm Thed Weller and I approve this message.

3 comments:

Nashville_fan (your sister!) said...

AMEN!

But I have to say, even though I am a HUGE New Edition fan? They DID NOT sound good.

Why did Beyonce have on a wedding dress?

Why did Jamie Foxx have a giant bottle of a-a-a-a-a-alocohol on stage? (Or as MJ called it, Jesus juice, OY!)

Why was BET promoting some skanky show about some skanks named Tia and Toya (or sumthin like that)?

Why was Neyo, who dresses like Michael Jackson EVERY F'ING DAY, cussing and then "thanking God", before proceeding to "forget" to say anything about MJ at all?

Why did BET bring "successful" folk up onto the stage to be "clapped for" by a bunch of drunk celebrities and the hoochies up top?

I didn't even MAKE IT to the end of the show . . . I figured if there was anything worth seeing, I'd just catch the highlights.

P.S. I totally agree about CNN doing a better red carpet than BET, which brings me to my final point - why in the hell was Joe Jackson and some old guy trying to promote some new "blue ray" companay instead of mourning his dead child?

I was starting to feel sorry for Joe, since he was being demonized for whooping sensitive little Michael Jackson, but after that performance? Screw you Joe, screw you.

P.S.S. Ditto what you said about ALL OF AMERICA watching that CRAP as a representation of BLACK ENTERTAINMENT! Even having a black President isn't going to offset some of the ghetto bullshit that I saw before I tuned out.

Way to go BET - NOT!

Thed Weller said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thed Weller said...

you make great points sis! overall i guess i thought that the disapointment that BET has become would come closer to "getting it right" than they normally do of getting it wrong... "we are what we consistently do, Excellence therefore is a habit and not an act." ~Aristotle